Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Online Resources

Normally, I am more opposed to hunting for and supplementing curriculum during the school year as I prefer to have my lesson plans spelled out by mid summer. I am extemely busy in many other aspects of my life besides homeschool, so my dependence on a plan is a key factor. However, due to some issues with our charter school and materials not arriving, as well as a few disappointing discoveries in a unit study set I purchased, I have been forced to patch together a resemblance of a decent curriculum for each of my students. In doing so, however, I have been pleasantly surprised with the number or resources available; both free and extremely low cost! While I know this is nothing new to many old timer homeschool marms, I just thought I'd mention it today to inspire those of you who may not be aware of the variety and substance made so readily available on the world wide web. Again let me reiterate, I like a plan with a goal and purpose, I do NOT want my students lily pad hopping from site to site, sampling a smidge here, a tidbit there, while calling that education when indeed all they are doing is random activities. I am a firm believer in having and maintaining a plan. So here are my two favorite resources of the day. I will continue to add to a list on my sidebar for this sort of discovery.

http://www.shmoop.com/
I discovered Shmoop quite inadvertently while looking for some pre-algebra/basic math concept tutorial type online assistance for my darling arithmatic challenged daughter. We have used a plethora of curricula to strengthen her math skills; yet day after day, the skills seem to elude her literature infused brain. Anyhow, this website has plenty of explanations and practice sets to torment her exponentially, but not only that, its set up in a way that has her feeling "cool" and entertained. She's all about "lingo" and "epicness" right now so this is perfect for her. Not only that, but there is more available for her to peruse such as literature guides and quizzes which she immediately tackled with gusto. Lastly, there is an "essay lab" in which a student can participate to touch up on writing skills. The fun part of this site is one earns "shmoints" with their activity which is a super added bonus. Okay people so from the parent of the girl who''s eyeballs are on cruise roll this is definitely a winner!

http://www.currclick.com/
Secondly, I am SURE there are not many of you who are unaware of this great resource but I can't help but sing it's praises just in case! Can we say addiction? Hello, my name is Kari and I'm addicted to curriculum! My poor kids! A site like this makes me wish I did not have a basic core curriculum and that each of them could just choose their topics and GO. I am going to encourage such behavior in the very near future indeed. My favorite discovery for today was LIVE classes available for all ages and subjects.  A Jr Cooking class called "Little Mixing Bowl"!!! We have a ds8 who will be all over that like a donkey on a waffle! Can't wait to try it out. Today I bought a basic US History Study for dd13, a Fall of the Roman Empire one for ds12, and a fun Autumn Lapbooking set for the littles. This will be plenty to keep us busy until we decide what Thanksgiving sets we might like to sample.

So that's it for today! I am hoping to post a decent review for the unit study we are using right now...or somewhat using I should say. So stay tuned but don't hold your breath! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment